Friday, February 3, 2012

If dreams came true

I wouldn't want most of my dreams to come true.  They are just too weird and random, even when they aren't bad dreams.  If my dreams came true...

  • I would spend a lot of time exploring strange buildings.
  • People would appear with and without animal masks on their faces, unpredictably.
  • Cats, rats and marmot-like creatures would stalk me, climbing all over my furniture and my body.
  • Most of the plumbing in the world would be broken.
  • There would always be an impending test in a class I had forgotten to attend.
  • My friends and family would turn into each other at the most inopportune times.

These are just a few of the recurring themes of my dreams, examples of why I absolutely do not long for my dreams to come true.

Now, it would be altogether different if we could order up our dream content.  Imagine if you could just lie down at night and say, "Tonight I would like to dream that I am on vacation on Bora Bora."  And then, just for the asking, you would have a beautiful dream of lounging in one of those over-the-water bungalows all filled with fresh flowers, and in the morning they would bring your breakfast out to you in a boat, croissants, smoked salmon, fresh pineapple and piping hot coffee.

Or you could say, "I miss my family that lives so far away from me.  Tonight I would like to dream that we are all together."  And then you could dream of a grand family reunion--maybe, maybe it would be Christmas with big, soft snowflakes and a roaring fire and everybody singing carols all together in four part harmony.

You could even say, "Tonight I would like to dream that I am eating a hot fudge sundae..." and you would dream of all the creamy coldness and chocolatey gooey-ness with none of the calories.

Except... when I dream about delicious food,

somehow...
I can never seem to get to the first bite.


Does that ever happen to you?

No comments:

Post a Comment