Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Alarm clock woes

Do you ever struggle with your alarm clock?

My older son, David, does incredibly weird things with his.  For one thing, his clock is set one hour and ten minutes ahead of regular time.

(I cannot imagine what he is going to do this weekend when we "spring ahead" for Daylight Savings.)

There are times when David wakes up in the middle of the night and resets his clock, or his alarm.  Sometimes he does this in his sleep and is unaware.

Surprisingly, I think I've only had to rescue him in the morning twice all year.

This morning it was me that messed up, though.

Two nights ago, going to bed after the momentous occasion of David's Junior Saxophone Recital, I turned off my alarm because I was so shot.  Also because I knew that I would panic and be completely unable to sleep if I was anticipating an alarm at 6:30 a.m.  By a decision made in advance, we slept in until we woke naturally, and I drove my younger son to school late.

That was two nights ago.  And that night I did not get a good rest.  So last night I was again exhausted when I went to bed... exhausted, not overstimulated like the previous night, and having consumed the maximum recommended dose of Valerian capsules.

I forgot to turn my alarm back on.

So we overslept again.  This time it was not on purpose.  I woke up at 7:49 and delivered Jon to school (travel mug of coffee in hand) by 8:03.  Rather than feeling discouraged, I am pretty impressed with myself.

I came home and did a few things, mostly breakfasty ones.  Then my husband, who was upstairs getting ready to go to work, asked me if I wanted him to make the bed.  I said no.

I crawled in and took a nap until 11:21.  Taking a nap was on my to-do list yesterday, but it took until this morning to get around to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment