Monday, March 12, 2012

Daylight Savings Time -- Five reasons to pitch it

I do not like Daylight Savings Time.  In fact, I think I hate it.

1.  Daylight Savings Time messes with our sleep cycles something awful.  It is worst in the fall when we gain an hour.  But it is plenty bad in the spring when we lose an hour, too.  When I was young, I thought it was cool to gain an hour.  Later in life, when I had small children, I realized that babies sleep when they sleep, and an extra hour is never applied to their night, so adding an extra hour to one of their days just makes them tired and cranky for many more days.  We did not have quite this same problem with losing an hour in the spring, but...

2.   Losing an hour in the spring is psychologically defeating.  We finally get to March, longer daylight hours, and sunrise before the school bus arrives at 6:55 a.m.  Then... we turn our clocks ahead so that we essentially get up at 5:something a.m. instead of 6:something a.m. and it is dark in the morning all over again (my husband calls it, "getting up at O-Dark-Hundred").

3.  Daylight Savings Time makes me sick.  Literally.  I feel sick for at least a week each time I jerk the time around.  Although I recognize that my fibromyalgia and other extenuating factors make Daylight Savings a bigger hardship for me than for many heartier people, research shows that productivity at work lags during the days after a time change.

4.  There is no good reason for the time change.  A few sane states have abolished it.  It is simply a dinosaur, a social experiment turned tradition which we carry out each year, twice, with no reason or explanation.

 5.  I don't think God meant us to play with time, hence there are not good results when we do.   Noon should be noon, when the sun is at its apex, and time should proceed with that as a marking point, an absolute, a standard.  We ought not mess with the rhythm of life.  Period.  The end.

2 comments:

  1. I agree,Ruth! The time change is barbaric. Unfortunately, the only states that don't participate are Hawaii and Arizona, two of the most unlikely places for me to end up. Arizona looked pretty good last week, though. I was very tempted.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, either Arizona or Hawaii sounds pretty great... except for the getting there. I just don't understand why somebody in a high position doesn't realize, "Wow! We don't have to do this. We could just stop!" I can't tell you how great I felt when our family stopped being a soccer family. The first year we had quite, I drove past the park of soccer fields one cold, rainy Saturday morning, and I saw all those parents sitting out there in their soggy lawn chairs with their leaky umbrellas over their heads, and I felt profound pity for them, that they had not discovered that they, like me, could be free of that torturous misery.

      Delete