Monday, March 26, 2012

Five ways to prevent bad dreams

I have a longer, prosier post to share on this subject, but today I'd just like to give you five things you can do to reduce the number of bad dreams you have.

(1)  Do not watch horror movies or occultish TV shows, and do not read scary books.  I find that even when things do not seem the least bit frightening during the day, at night the images they stimulated my mind to store can go sour and become terrifying.  I vigilantly work to protect my mind from cataloging fodder for nightmares.

(2)  Do not eat meat or cheese after 7 p.m. in the evening.  Rich foods require your body chemistry to work hard to metabolize them.  When your body is working hard on metabolism, your body temperature tends to go up.  And when your body temperature is a bit higher than normal, you are at higher risk of bad dreams.

(3)  Sleep in a cool room with good air exchange.  Hot, stuffy rooms can raise your body temperature and induce bad dreams in much the same way that rich food does.

(4)  Deliberately meditate on good things as you fall asleep.  My favorite sleep thoughts:  the attributes of God (start here for an alphabetical list of them).

(5)  Make peace.  Live at peace with others and with God so that disturbing thoughts of hurt, anger, fear and unforgiveness do not plague you in the night hours.

No comments:

Post a Comment